Thread: [REL] Depth Charge noise mod
View Single Post
Old 04-04-18, 02:49 PM   #57
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7

I'm afraid I've given icebergs a bad name. They just happened to be in the wrong place (literally) at the wrong time.

Since I knew something was buggered up between the Depth Charge Noise mod and the Campaign_RND file, I started examining what unit(s) in there were the cause, and I began by "process-of-elimination'. Unfortunately, the icebergs are at the top of the list, and removing those (and subsequently mis-renumbering the remainder) gave the impression that they were the root cause.

They are not.

Several hundred test mission later, and I have no real answers. I've edited the existing Campaign_RND; I've created my own. The results are inconclusive, although give some small clues.

• Anything with more than 40 RndGroup in the _RND file never reload without CTD
  • RndGroup size between 20-40 randomly successfully reloads or CTDs, with it usually CTDing, with the CTD frequency increasing as the RndGroup size increases
  • RndGroup between 10-20 randomly successfully reloads or CTDs, with it usually successfully loading at the low end, with the CTD frequency increasing as the RndGroup size increases
  • RndGroup between 5-10 mostly successfully reloads, with random, occassional CTDs
  • RndGroup between 1-5 almost always successfully reloads, with very rare CTDs

Even within subgroups there is no consistency. I've run a mission with a 40 RndGroup, had a successful save-and-load, only to run the same mission immediately a second time and have it CTD upon reload, yet if I reload the first mission save it still successfully reloads.

It would appear that the game is either corrupting, or incompletely saving, the "saved game" information. That's the only conclusion I can reach, as once a mission has been successfully saved, it can be reloaded time and time again.

What I don't understand is the correlation between having Bolds appear outside of being ejected out of a Uboat, the Campaign_RND file, and the corruption of saving a game.

At the moment, understand that using the Depth Charge Noise mod causes CTD upon loading a saved game, if you've been depth charged already.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote