Old 08-23-23, 12:07 AM   #9
nihilcat
UBOOT Dev

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDoolittle View Post
Thank you for the response Ruby.

The problem is that bearing-only interception from hydrophone, which arguably would be the most realistic method for finding a convoy does not seem to be truly supported in Uboat. It's based on something called target motion analysis. You should be able to determine the target's course, range, and speed, just by knowing what the direction to the target or bearing is at different points in time with some simplifying assumptions (constant course and speed). That is the basis for the four-bearing method.

When you get a hydrophone contact on the hardest settings, the estimated range and course are already calculated for you and shown by the location and movement of the blip on the map. I would prefer if the hydrophone contact was much more vague, I only really need to know the bearing to the target and I can use TMA to determine the rest.

You used a radio contact where someone had determined the targets exact course range and speed for you. I expect to do all that myself. Not with a stadimeter or a watch, but with bearing-only methods from a great distance. It's beautiful when you get to appreciate how it works. It depends on a precise hydrophone bearing and I can't seem to work the manual hydrophone in order to get an accurate bearing. Which seems like it should be possible?

P.S. even though the targets course may change at points in time, for large periods their course will be constant speed and heading which makes TMA viable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Motion_Analysis

https://wolfpack.fandom.com/wiki/4-B...ly%20submerged.
I can't promise anything yet, but we either plan to or already removed that information from the map in the full release version.

Regarding what you mentioned in the previous message, that it's difficult to narrow down the direction of a sound down to a degree with the hydrophone like in SH, it's done on intention. At such distances mostly low frequencies of sound are audible, while high frequencies are completely gone. Low frequency sound in water diffuses in all directions and it shouldn't be possible to narrow down its direction to a degree (or maybe rather - it could, but it should be difficult).

If you would prefer to see the behaviour from SH, it should be possible to mod this into the game, although some programming may be required.
nihilcat is offline   Reply With Quote