View Single Post
Old 05-02-12, 08:33 PM   #1654
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Just managed to get it on my laptop and I have to say, coming from such games as BF3 and Skyrim, it's hard to look past the graphics. I haven't done much except create my character so far, but I've got a 12 hour train ride tomorrow so I'll try and get into it then.

Can anyone recommend setups and such as well as where to go right off the bat? If I'm not mistaken there is no fast travel nor do enemies scale to your level? If this is right then I can tell I'll love the game regardless.
Ok the biggest gripe you're going to have right off the bat is the combat system. It's based upon the old school method of die rolls to see if you hit. So you'll be whacking away on a mudcrab with your sword, and it looks like you're hitting it, but you aren't and all you're hearing is that "swish swish" weapon miss sound. This can be frustrating, but just know that:

If you start as a Redguard with Long Blade as a major skill and the Warrior sign, you'll start out with the best starting weapon skill of any combination of character. Use a long blade and you're set.

Also, as you use a weapon, you'll naturally become better at it, and once you get a weapon proficiency to around level 60 to 70, you'll be hitting much more often than you miss and it won't be so bad.

Running everywhere drains your fatigue, and low fatigue lowers your chance to hit. Actually, low fatigue lowers your chance to do anything. You can either find a "running doesn't affect fatigue" mod, or not run everywhere, which can be a test of patience because movement speed in Morrowind is slow.

There is fast travel, but it's through boats and stilt striders (which are giant fleas. Yes, giant fleas.) There are also spells that allow you to mark a spot and then recall to it anytime. There are also spells that will warp you to the nearest shrines in towns. So you have some fast travel options, but just not as gamey as those in Oblivion and Skyrim.

Your best bet starting out is to follow the main quest at least until you make it to Balmora. You'll meet someone there who will set you up with some funds and point you in the direction of some things that will help you level up and get on your feet. Follow his advice.

Save often. Vvardenfell is a dangerous place. You most likely will stumble onto things that will kill you quickly. If you find yourself in trouble, run away or use an intervention scroll/spell to warp yourself back to a town.

Mages can be a difficult choice for a first time player. Magicka does not constantly regenerate as it does in Oblivion/Skyrim. Unless you've chosen the Atronach sign, you'll need to use potions or rest in order to restore magicka.

I envy you - I remember the sense of wonder and exploration I got in my first time through Morrowind.

I'll leave you with this: in Vvardenfell you can't believe everything you read or hear, and even the most simple and straightforward truths have an undercurrent of lies and self-serving deceit in them.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote