View Single Post
Old 10-26-08, 08:04 PM   #26
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
jdkbph,

While I cannot answer all the questions - I can touch on a few. Damage will SLOWLY be repaired as turns pass. This is slow - so dont expect to see drastic damage fixed quickly. I see 1% fixed usually every 2-3 turns.

As for crew - your crew has a training level on each ship. This information - at least in testing - was nore readily available to be seen. However, it has a great impact on your ship's performance. Crew is also factored in to damage - perhaps simplistic in some respects, but actually very helpful and useful for those of us who don't like to micromanage.

You talked about "bouncing" shells off the Virginia's hull all day for no damage. Even small shots will wear down the armor of a ship. Each hit in a specific area will futher weaken the armor there - so even firing dinky little guns at an ironclad is worth it over time. This is one area that the game truly excells in, as it monitors accumulated damage to areas.

When it comes to aiming - there is not, to my knowledge (which is limited), a way to aim at a specific point, unless where you click on an enemy ship is the aiming point. That might be the mechanics used.

However, I can tell you a couple of specifics about aiming. Each ship is divided just as your damage screen shows: Fore, center and aft areas - each divided into a port and starboard side. This creates 6 damage "areas". The most effective shots will concentrate fire in one of these locations.

For example - a "broadside" shot - where your shooting at the parallel side of your enemy, usually spreads your shots out - the majority going into the center -with a few going fore and aft (not counting misses). However, if you use proper ship handling, you can often fire your shots at a more narrowed area. One thing I often did was turn BEHIND enemy vessels. Then, while I passed behind them, my guns would be able to bear for a limited time - either on one side as I approached, or the other "far" side as I passed. Using this technique allowed me mazimize my shot placements - meaning more hits in specific areas. The more damage - the more likely you can have a fire or flooding affect the enemy. At the least - concentrated damage often takes out a few guns - sometimes permenantly! If you use this successfully enough, you get to enjoy seeing the enemy down aft and struggling to just stay afloat! Not to mention many of the ships you use this with often cannot turn fast enough on their next "round" to target you. Remember that landing shots on your opponent, while staying out of his shot range/angle, makes winning alot easier!

You mentioned opportunity fire - can you explain a bit more of what you want here? Usually when my ship has finishd moving - it has no enemy in a targetable position. This may be just due to my style of play, but its very important to remember that these ships have a very small "window of opportunity" when it comes to engaging targets successfully unless the guns are turreted. For fixed broadside guns, its usually apparent where and when you have the "best available shot". If you dont stop and take it there - then you are wasting the opportunity. Think of it this way - your the captain. If you don't yell fire - is your crew going to let loose? Of course not. You take your shots when you think you should. Personally - I suggest get as close as possible, fire every available gun when its highlighted, and thus insure that every shot in a full broadside counts!!! If you can explain "opportunity fire" a little better, the Totem guys seem to be very open to suggestions!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote