View Single Post
Old 11-27-08, 03:38 AM   #60
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabiz
A bit harsh? Or have everything changed since the demo?
Not harsh, just unhyped and trying to be realistic. My views on the demo here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=143670
The final game sees improvements over the demo, but not to the degree I meanwhile learned to hope for after reading the feedback and two previews at simHQ and Armchair General. It seems that many people are so desperately waiting for a solid WWII-based tank simualtion, that they are willing to forgive a lot when talking SF up (or TvT, for that matter). Main problem with SF is the terrible AI and the way in which the mission (=gameplay) unfolds. It always seem to be the same hail mary pass and then all is rushing forward, no matter what. Once in the objective zone, tanks start to zigzag back and fourth and left and right like in a stockcar race, not knowing about anything and where to go and what to do. Force cohesion is an alien term, taking hull-down positions I still wait to see, no defensive cover taking seem to ever happen. waypoints or mission obkjectives in the map seem to dominate over healthy reason when to expose your flanks and rear, and when better not (and that you better avoid always!) For an "epic" battle simulator, the tank forces I saw this far were relatively small in size, not even company sized, maybe in later missions there is greater forces to see. Target selection during a storm assault is - sit down and shake your head for a while, thats what target selection is like. The infantry 5 meters in front of you gets it with the main gun , the tank 200m away gets ignored. I have 5 missions now, but tactical finesse, any raffinesse at all, I'm looking for in vain. The interface is sub-optimal.

I've started to make first notes and drafts, there does not seem to be much more to discover, I unfortunately have to say - and I am already loosing interest. In schoolnotes, and taking the print on the box serious that says "an epic tank battle simulator", I am currently at a C- or D+ or D, something in that range. Not a desaster, but then again - also nothing so good you would call it a must-have. As an action game, it is acceptable and then combines the WWII-theme nicely with uncomplicated mission playing (but a complicated interface). seen that way, you could rate it as a B-, C+ or C.

And no, I do not talk it down in favour of SBP. I will compare it to SBP as well - if you want to judge a new tank title, you need to compare it to the standards set by the benchmark there is, it's only natural - but in a strictly separate chapter.

That's it for the moment, and i am already rushing ahead. No more word on SF from me until I'm finished.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-27-08 at 04:05 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote