View Single Post
Old 06-13-17, 11:23 PM   #55
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Sorry but that's like saying "we're proud to say our automobile can go faster than a bicycle!".

Even if CW would model everything sonar 100% true to life... so what?
The rest of the game is lacking, in many areas, and that's the problem.

Go play some "Fast Attack" from the nineties.
Probably the best (modern) subsim ever made in terms of authenticity/overall quality, with (near) perfect gameplay.
Julhelm said CW was "heavily inspired" by Fast Attack.
Honestly, I do not see that at all.
Not one bit.
I hadn't played Fast Attack, so I can't compare, but you hadn't been very specific about your complaints (at least on this thread) other than the pinging thing, and I think it is invalid.

On the realism front, you argue that they shouldn't be pinging without some provocation. But in the meta of the game, you will almost always have provoked them. In the campaign map, the most common thing you are doing is hurtling through the water at a SoA of 26 knots (by default the Primary Mouse button is used). Presumably, you weren't actually doing a steady 26 knots - otherwise the scenario screen would start with "We have detected a torpedo in the water, bearing ...". You were doing a sprint-and-drift and in one of the drifts you managed to pick up the contact, but all that means is that you were even faster during your sprints.

Even your patrol speed (the second most common scenario) of 10 knots is likely composed of a series of sprints and drifts. Really, you did not provoke them? Even if you managed to set an ambush ... not only is that only the 3rd most common scenario, but if you thought this is a great ambush position, why can't the enemy be allowed that intelligence?

So in the very vast majority of scenarios, it is at least plausible the enemy suspects you are in the area and the decision to make the AI act like it is the optimal choice.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote