View Single Post
Old 08-22-08, 05:24 AM   #188
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

For anyone using Nhancer;

Click Tools > Activate Profile > Best Quality (no speeed optimizations). This will set the global profile to... well what it should be IMHO. Now select your game profile and make the tweaks you want.

For SH4;

Set anti-aliasing as desired. DO NOT use enhance in-game settings, as SH4 does not have AA, so there is nothing to enhance! Anything above 4x MSAA will remove the sun's halo and has some more negative effects. You can use transparency AA (multi -or super-) without losing anything... well, beside a little performance. DO NOT enable "Gamma correction".

Again, AFAIK SH4 does not have anisotropic filtering, so set it as desired, not application.

Set anti aliasing compatibility mode to "20000000: EA Strategy Games". This is to get AA working properly, but how and why this works exactly is beyond me.

If you're having frame rate issues, you can reduce your AA / AF settings, and / or enable some or all optimizations to gain some performance. Disabling / reducing in-game graphic options will also gain you performance. How you balance things out is up to you...

So Pappychain, since you asked ;

Anisotropic Filtering = Application controlled > set as desired, not "application controlled".
Antialiasing - Gamma Correction = On > off. You can adjust gamma in-game if needed.
Antialiasing = 16XQ > no halo, thin smoke, but it's your choice.
Antialiasing - Transparency = off > multi- or super-
Conformant Texture Clamp = use hardware > normally "on", set to "off" if your having anomalies.
Extension Limit = Off > normally "off", set to "on" if your having anomalies.
Force Mipmaps = bilinear > only use for old games that don't use mipmaps. Probably better to disable.
Multi-Display/mixed-GPU acceleration = single display performance mode
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization = On > off for better graphics, it's a speed optimization.
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias = Allow > clamp for better graphics (if a game uses negative bias).
Texture filtering = Quality > high quality to automatically disable all speed optimizations.
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization = On > off for better graphics, it's a speed optimization.
Triple Buffering = Off > on if you're using / forcing V-sync.
Vertical Sync = Force On > SH4 has a V-sync option, I suggest you use that (set to "application").

I'm not saying you have to set it like that, but you can improve graphics a lot. Things like setting "force mipmaps" either does nothing at all or cause conflicts with a game like SH4. If you aren't already, I suggest you use Nhancer; it gives more info on options and provides additional links with info.

Hope it helps.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote