Old 05-19-18, 11:20 PM   #3
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Cool stuff.

I finally have the PC I've always wanted, and it doesn't come close to yours.
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 4-Core 3.2 Ghz
8 Ghz RAM
Radeon RX 560

Like you, I don't see myself ever having a game that will tax that. I only mention it at all because I seem to have made one mistake. I've compared Windows 10 and 8.1 in the past, and a couple of the programs I use prefer 8.1, to the point of not working well with 10 at all. I had the option to downgrade to 8.1, but after doing so I discovered that MS seems to have made a deal with both Intel and AMD, so that none of the newest processors work with anything other than Win 10. It's frustrating to realize that I could have had an older Athlon processor that cost less, would still be more than I needed, and would work with 8.1.

My main reason for posting is to make sure everybody knows about that little problem.

Actually yours is pretty close!
In several ways, better.

EDIT: Short version, your Ryzen is excellent.

I did a quick search for the Ryzen 1400, and grabbed the specs from AMD's website.
architecture

AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400

# of CPU Cores: 4
# of Threads: 8
Base Clock: 3.2GHz
Max Boost Clock: 3.4GHz
CMOS: 14nm
Package: AM4
PCI Express Version: PCIe 3.0 x16

Compared to my FX 8350:

# of CPU Cores : 8
# of Threads: 8
Base Clock: 4.0GHz
Max Boost Clock: 4.2GHz
CMOS: 32nm
Package: AM3+
PCI Express Version: PCIe 2.0 x16

The FX 8350 doesn't "HyperThread", so I only have 8 threads.
The Ryzens, based on all I've read, for the same clock speed have 40% more IPC (Instructions per clock/instructions per cycle).

So if your Ryzen was a FX cpu, it would be roughly equivalent to a 4.48ghz (bases on some quick math, 3.2 X 1.4 = 4.48) in IPC.

Your CPU is less than half the architectural size of mine = Less heat.

PCIe 3.0 is TWICE AS FAST.
(GiB/s = Gigabytes per Second.)
PCIe 2.0 is ~8GiB/sec max. on a x16 slot.
PCIe 3.0 is ~16 GiB/sec max on a x16 slot.

Meaning IF, for example, you were to run Crossfire with 2 cards. Both would be at x8.
Your board could "feed" each card data at 8GiB/sec. You can feed both cards as fast as I can feed 1.

I seriously considered a RX560, but I couldn't find any #s on the same games or benchmarks like Unigine Heaven/Valley/Superposition.

The driver disk that came with my RX 580 doesn't include Drivers for Win 8/8.1.
The box shows supported Operating Systems as: "Linux, Windows 10, and Windows 7".

To me, Windows 8 has always seemed to be like Vista. A modification to a design that people liked, with serious "structural issues". Vista driver situation (compared to XP) was similar to Win 8/8.1 is (compared to Win7).
I don't see Win 8 drivers on the AMD website for the RX Series!

Also, you are using DDR4, Mine uses DDR3.
Faster there too!
Given the current prices, I would most likely have gone with 8-16GB RAM (depending on the Motherboard).

Keep in mind I built my system over 9 months, first gathering core parts on one trip.
Then case, fans, etc. the next time (mini road trips! kinda).
Then finally ran across a sale at a local store got PSU, R7 370X, and a part that I'm forgetting to get running. This took a few months.
A few months later I got the 2nd R7, and a few months after that, got the last 2 HDD for the RAID.

Just before the RX 480's launch I was out of town again, and the store I had bought most the core parts at, had the R9 380 and the R9 Fury on sale.
The R9 380 was ~$150, and the R9 Fury (Fiji core, HBM ram) was ~$200.
I got the 380s, still kinda wish I had gotten the Fury, it was out running the VEGA in games/benchmarks for several months! Might not have needed to get the RX580!!!

I'm sure with some careful, slow deliberate (read: on sale) parts collection, your Ryzen will be a total monster in a short time.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 05-23-18 at 12:48 AM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote