View Single Post
Old 07-31-23, 09:02 PM   #3
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

There was mention of difficulties with the bots/engines a couple of weeks ago by some of the testers, and it was implied that some simplification of the obermachinist role might be occurring in order to make getting the bots to work easier. All "rumour-mill" you understand.

I don't know if that's still a problem at all, or if simplification of the obermachinist engine control has been simplified due to bot programming issues.

It occurred to me that if the "double-engines" approach was used, it would be possible to do away with the need for programming bots in a very effecient way, by making the helm command and control the engines when no obermachinist was present on the boat, by using our current code for engines, and then to restrict the obermachinist to manual use only, using code optimised for that content.

I'm sure it would have thrown up some new problems, but on the face of it it seemed a neat solution...

Is obermachinist present on boat? Y/N
If Y, use new code for engine control with helmsman sending signals only
If N use old code, with helmsman actively controlling engine speeds as now. (which we know works well)
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote