View Single Post
Old 05-23-12, 12:59 PM   #126
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

In the early war to mid war, the clocks are set to German legal time, GMT+1 Mitteleuropische time. Mid-war they changed german legal time to GMT+2. This makes sense from the KW (wireless) point of view, keeping the clocks set to command control communications and intelligence time to receive orders and important comm. Navigators placed sunrise high noon sunset and weather data in in the KTB. What hell it must be to resume your bridge watch on german time + as you reach the East Coast of the U. S. and your watch has moved from daylight to the graveyard shift, sleep patterns are altered crew gets grumpy morale is affected. U-Boat Archive has several KTB's with the sunrise sunset data for the month/year. I've always been amazed when surfaced to see my friend Orion Rising over the horizon and wondered if thats where it was in june of 1942? Now I am mostly in the late war where U-Boat Navigation changed. Dead Reckoning, soundings, known landmarks and Elektre-Sonne beacons were used to get a fix. So I drag and drop on the map my course and leave it at that, remove the Sub Icon on the map and Navigate across the sea? Would be awesome!
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote