Old 05-09-08, 12:07 AM   #581
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtype Zero
Dear OLC,

Take all the time you need for RL issues. We can wait (gasp)!

Take care.
Thanks. I don't want to take time off from modding, I just felt an explanation for my recent ... temper ... was in order.

Thanks for the words of support from all who gave them, but I'm a bit embarrassed now, so lets get back to the thread topic.

I'm releasing 2.1.1 today.

I've done some research (that means Googling) into underwater viewing distances. The furthest distance I've yet seen for underwater visibility is 70m, with 40m being a more realistic maxiumum in clear water. On the lower end of the scale, visibility can be as little as 1m in dirty water. I also watched several YouTube scuba dive videos and judging by those I'd say that a 40-70m maxiumum does look about right. I've therefore tweaked the underwater fogging effect to give a visibility distance of 50m (it was 150m before - I thought I had changed it to 500 but I'd changed only one of the two settings, oops) and increased the minimum fog amount to make the water look a bit murkier.

Since we don't have HDR in SH3 I've retained the darkish underwater look, otherwise it looks silly when water washes over the scope.

Here's a screen. It's still WIP, some small issues to fix.

I've also been tweaking OLC Realistic Map Contacts modlet, this time the hydrophone contacts. In 2.1.1 warship contacts are now indicated by red lines (like in stock - I've no idea why that was removed, since your sonarman can easily tell the difference) and I've made the lines a bit fuzzier and wider-spaced so that it's harder to tell exact distances. Here's another screenshot.