View Single Post
Old 07-25-11, 08:19 PM   #4
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
That is a difficult and often emotional question to answer.

There was a pro golfer who had the same issue. He had a disability that prevented him from walking long distances so he wanted to use a golf cart. Other golfers complained that walking long distances in this specific tournament was part of the competition and that all golfers had to accept the exertion of walking. To allow this golfer to ride, made him less tired and therefore gave him an advantage.

If I remember correctly, using a golf cart was against pga rules so it wasn't other golfers complaints that caused his problem. That case was decided by the courts and he was allowed to play and use a cart.

I don't think the runner should be allowed to participate in the olympics or even college sports using the prosthetic legs\feet.

I can picture a legless man/woman wearing a mermaid-like prosthetic and wanting to swim against able bodied individuals. Where do you draw the line?

And I do not believe there could be any test that could tell you EXACTLY what the advantage is.

We do already have competitions for disabled athletes, and classifying an individual's disability in order to make those competitions fair is quite difficult.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote