Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
and a question I add to Neal's question. Some software simply does not make use of double core CPUs. FS9 for example does not recognize the second core, and runs with only one. My current single core CPU is a 3 GHz P4. Imagine I get a CPU double core at 2.66 GHz, does this mean then that the sim is running with 2.66 GHz single core and I need to expect it to run slower than on a P4 3 GHz, or do changes in CPU architecture compensate for that speed gap? Is a double core 2.66 running a software that uses only one core: slower, equally fast, or faster than a P4 3 GHz?

A core2duo running at 2.66Ghz tramps all over a P4 3Ghz (for that matter a cd2 at 2 Ghz tramps all over a p4 at 3Ghz).
Don't think for a moment that the increase in performance is measured in 5-10%.
We're talking an increase of several 100%, thats how fast they are in single threaded performance, in multithread it goes even higher.
The c2d was a revolutionary increase in performance owing its success to a very aggressive pre-fectcher (and very big L2 inclusive cache) and a 25% increase in IPC.
Not sure if I understand you correctly, or you understand me correctly. I am talking about software that does not make use of the second core, so that the dual core is running only in "mono": the sim does not benefit fro the second core. Or do I understand that wrong? At least FS9 is confirmed to not make any use of dual core's second processor.