View Single Post
Old 01-09-18, 02:38 PM   #86
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ_SABRE View Post
Ahoy squids. Ex-Army here but still love the sub sims...

New laptop for Christmas

I was struggling to get SH4 running again on the new box. Thanks to this forum, and a few other threads, looks like its now working well...

Even have some noob mods working to boot!

Eluktronics Pro-X P650HS-G
Intel i7-7700HQ Quad Core
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
1TB SSD
32GB DDR4 RAM
Large Address Aware 2.0.4.0
Silent Hunter IV 1.5.0.0 (steam)
JSGME 2.6.0.157
Not running any compatibility mode (win 10 native)
using Program Files (x86) with no issue (steam library)
Welcome SJ_SABRE to SubSim!!

That's great that you have the game running from Steam, but I must warn you that if you keep it in the "Program Files (x86)" folder and run mods that alter the original game files (which is what mods do) you'll have issues. Since Windows XP, Windows OS has taken an approach of not allowing files to be altered when defaulted/installed into any of these folders......"Program Files", "Program Files (x86)", or the "ProgramData". It's due to security reasons, but when you decide to alter the game files with modifications, Windows will not allow the changes. That's why so many gamers have learned to install their older games into folders other than the three above. The reason newer games can be defaulted to one of these folders is simply they have the correct file "flags" that Windows recognizes (although, even newer games MAY have issues if you decide to mod/alter them).

I also see you have "Large Address Aware 2_0_4_0". I'm guessing you have downloaded version "laa_2_0_4.zip" from their site. Be aware, that version is NOT used with a Windows 10 NetFramework 4.5......which is provided with Windows 10. You should download/use the LAA version "laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5.zip" for the NetFramework that's in Windows 10.

It's these kinds of things that will trip up a player trying to install older games on newer Windows Operating Systems (newer than Windows XP.....the OS the game was designed for). To make sure you have the correct NetFramework; DirectX; or even have the game installed in the correct place, you should read the "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" found HERE.

Something that has just come up on my computer with the "latest" update to Windows 10 (v1709....the Fall Creators Edition) is I now have to set the game in an older "Compatible" mode to have it run. My earlier versions of Windows 10, both v1607 and v1703 did not require me to do anything with the "Compatibility" settings.......with v1709 my game would not boot as usual until I put it into a Vista compatible mode. Just be aware of what could happen, and what to do when it does.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote