View Single Post
Old 08-21-15, 07:49 PM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
I suppose one simple answer to that is that serving in the army is nothing at all like playing football. In fact, there are many qualities that a good football player has which would probably be considered handicaps for a ranger. Good football players (and many other athletes) are almost inevitably huge guys; in many cases, guys who are huge and bulky are at a disadvantage in many military roles (and flat our rejected from others).

The intake requirements for Ranger School, assessed on the first 3 days (of 61) as per wikipedia:

Say again? Depends on the position, many are small, fast guys. Buy yes, I know it's not the same thing, you know what I mean.

Quote:
More generally, I don't know why it's surprising that 2 women passed, against thousands of men who graduated Ranger school. It might be surprising if there was a high percentage of women, but honestly, two women with the right kind of build out of thousands of candidates shouldn't be surprising.
Seriously? Why am I (others as well) surprised women can pass Ranger training? That really needs no explanation, right? Maybe some women can pass the standard, these two certainly seem to have what it takes, but of course, it is very unusual. I know a few women, don't you? I cannot say I've come acress any that seem to be cut out for this kind of thing. In school, 14-year-old boys can earn the highest award on the government’s physical fitness test by doing 10 pull-ups or chin-ups: for 14-year-old girls, it’s 2.

Again, I salute these women for their achievement, but you expect it is a normal course of events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
Good. Now we can combine the DNA sequences of two qualified Rangers and start breeding those super soldiers we've always wanted/dreaded.

At least these ladies shaved their heads like the men. They look like soldiers.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ending_strip_4

I've read that Maj. Jim Hathaway, the No. 2 officer in the Airborne and Ranger Training Brigade overseeing Ranger School has taken to FB to set the record straight, these women earned their tab same as the men.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...pull-ups/?_r=0