View Single Post
Old 07-21-17, 10:19 AM   #1359
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

@iambecomelife: Great work and thanx for revisiting this, especially the ships lagging out of formation issue. This is one of the all-time most important mods that really adds so much depth to SH3.

So I saw this up earlier in the thread and nobody responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin James View Post
Hi, thank you for your work on this excellent mod. I assume "MFM3.2 displacement correction mod" is no longer useful or needed?
I am curious about this myself. Here is the original post on this mod. I remember implementing this mod, and it is enabled in my soup, but I couldn't tell what effect, if any, it had on the ships in MFM. MFM is also pretty far back in my "mod soup history," so I've had to figure out what modifications I made to it from back then, e.g. I use GWX, but I implement NYGM's tonnage (vs. renown) numbers and sub equipment upgrade model, so I've made all the renown entries for the MFM ships equal to their displacement.

To quote the readme for the displacement mod:

Quote:
The MFM3.2 displacement correction mod updates displacement values in iambecomelife's Merchant Fleet Mod Prerelease No. 3.2 for Silent Hunter 3. There were some ships that had incorrect 'mass' and/or 'displacement' values; for instance, the original surface displacement values for AO01A, AO02A, O01B, and O02A were 900,000 [tons].

I decided to go, one-by-one, through every ship in the MFM3.2 Data/Sea folder. For each one I checked the displacement documented in the .cfg file, then opened up the .sim file and set mass to zero and then set surfaced displacement to the same value as given in the .cfg file.
As an example, I opened T08B.sim in MFM 3.3 and found the displacement set at 14000, but the displacement in T08B.cfg is listed as 12100.

In the displacement mod thread, everyone there says this is an important mod, but how so? I mod a little bit, but I prefer to go on the word of people who have more expertise than I do. However, I couldn't really see any immediate effect in the game. The only thing I noticed was that I did see ships randomly lag behind the convoys. I didn't see it happening before, but as iambecomelife seems to indicate, that was a problem in the original mod. I suspect that I just hadn't run across any of those ships before implementing the "fix."

Comments?
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote