View Single Post
Old 09-22-18, 12:46 AM   #18
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
I agree that full Aegis behavior is beyond this game. But at least get some basic things right. For instance, in current v1.45, SM-2's Max speed is mach 2.5 according to the in-game reference. Mach 2.5? Are you kidding me? A su-27's top speed is Mach 2.35. It's practically useless.

What makes the matter worse is that the actual in-battle speed is even lower. The missile could only fly at 950 kts, which is mach 1.42 and even slower than some of the cruise missiles.

But if you look at some of the Russian SAM's, most of them are in mach3 or even Mach4-5 range.

That's a real difference.
Don't get too hung up on "book values". They don't tell the whole story.
If a missile is turning or changing attitude its going to lose speed.

DW started out as a submarine game, the frigates and P3's kinda got bolted onto it. In that manner, there are a lot of things it gets right but there are also some things which needed to get bent a bit.

BTW, before anyone gets upset, let me explain what I mean about "book numbers" with an example- the SR-71.

The "book numbers" claim the SR-71 had a top speed of Mach 3+. Some books will claim a top speed of Mach 3.2 or Mach 3.3 with a dash speed of Mach 3.5. Or, the books will say the SR-71 had a top speed of 1,500 MPH.

Go on Youtube and find some SR-71 pilot interviews. All of them will say the SR-71 had a top speed of 450 knots (indicated air speed).

No one is lying. All of the numbers are accurate. How is it possible?

Last edited by ET2SN; 09-22-18 at 02:37 AM.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote