View Single Post
Old 03-28-09, 02:35 PM   #40
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Here is how superior U-Boats were. This is absolutely devastating and shows how pitiful the entire U-Boat gambit really was:

In what way was such a dismally performing military arm with so many machines and so little actual achievement going to possibly succeed? Most U-Boats were just hiding and trying to survive, using the "ostrich theory" that I make fun of so much in the fleet boat strategy bull sessions. Yikes! I had no idea it was so bad. It just totally flies in the face of all U-Boat fanboy mentality. Heck, it flies in the face of what I thought was my considered opinion of their effectiveness. Only 321 of about 1,200 U-Boats offensively engaged the enemy at all. Disgraceful.
Well, you obviously have a fleet boat bias, but to say that a technology, in this case the u-boat, is inferior because of the odds stacked against it and the tactical deployment of it is not correct. You need to judge it on it's own merits. Was the boat suited for the task in which it was asked to do? Could it effectively remain deployed for a substantial length of time once on station? Was the armament it carried adequate for the task? You need to drill down to the micro unit level, not the macro strategy level.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote