View Single Post
Old 12-06-12, 10:00 PM   #14
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default SF

Hi Guys!

First of all I don' t think Skybird meant to disparage Steel Fury, he simply gave his honest opinion based on his trial of the game when it came out over 4 years ago.He is entitled to his opinion and if it sounds biased well I don't personally believe that any human being can have a purely detached nor objective view as we all have emotions and likes and dislikes .

If I remember my own impressions back then I would have had to agree with Skybird on most points.That being said 4 1/2 years later, having stuck to the game and seen the improvements , new models, new maps, new missions the amazing support given by the games developers even though they did not see a cent in profit on their investment in their own time and money and despite their distributor going belly up almost 3 years ago and their Russian language distributor leaving them in the dust. Let's be honest the AI in Steel Fury ain't stellar!!!! But compared to other games I have played Red Orchestra, TvsT even Arma II it ain't bad either( average would be a fairly accurate assessment). As Kyth said, when it's not wildly pushed in scripted missions the AI can be pretty crafty and cunnign and will surprise you with unexpected flank or sneak attacks and well organised moves.When I compare the AI in SF with the one in T-34 versus Tiger - the rival game to which it's often compared - it's night and day.The AI in TVsT will really make you cry in frustration.

That being said you cannot compare it with more sophisticated games like Steel Beasts or Arma( which I both own and play but only in SP). SF was created by a handful of dedicated programmers on their own time( as they need and have regular jobs to make ends meet) and investing their own money and frankly they pulled quite a feat considering the absence of support.SB or Arma or big titles on the other hand were created by well funded studios with considerable technical and financial means at their disposal.So I think comparing them is like the proverbial apples and oranges. Even in Steel Beast the AI has its moments of weakness.Arma II had good mechanics and is also highly complex but the AI can be at times prone to odd behaviour.There's no such thing as a perfect game or sim.

Now I can honestly say that thanks to dedicated modders and mission makers like Kyth, just to name one, the game has improved and with an impressive number of new models and much better missions SF has not only survived but thrived.There are 3 very active forum where you'll find a surprising number of dedicated fans of the game with passionate conversations, tips, advice, help etc.... This forum ain't one of them... I personally play a variety of game such as Battlefield 3 (MP). CoD MW3, Steel Beasts, Arma II but somehow when I want to play for fun and purely relax and get some good immersion I am always drawn back to SF .

Now whether you, von Due( a pun on fondue???), want to give it a try is your own business and decision.I ain't in the business of trying to sway people I prefer that they make the decision themselves.Still as Txema pointed out we have our very active main forum on Graviteam.com.Nothing stops you from either registering or simply checking it out and see what's going and decide for yourself if you are going to uninstall the game or give it a go again.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote