View Single Post
Old 02-11-18, 08:24 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

It indeed is best to keep gaming on Windows an every other comouter task on Linux strictly separated on two systems, or dual boot. I did dual boot testing myself for half a year when i went into Linux, before I bought second hardware for Linux and then had W7 running without Windows updates anymore for over 1.5 additonal years.

Barracuda reiterated what I said myself: the risks unde rLinux are not as big as under Windows. I only want to direct attention to that Linux platforms can heklp to spread Windows-malware withiut the Linux host himself beign affected. And that is not kind towards the other, and sometimes somebdy may even shoot his own foot when relasijgnto late that he has allowed to get all his databasde infestd nevertehless. The reocmmendation to not use Wine under Linux is not rarely given by Linux insiders and pro experts, mostly it is gamers doing it becasue they want to continue playing their games under Linux. Better solution indeed is: own Windows-gaming system (and then do NOTHING else on it), and a completely separated secodn systemw ith Linux for all other tasks of yours: email, browsing, shoppingk tet and ohto editiing, databese storage and so forth.

The only somewhat "senstive" data ion my W10 gaming system now is my steam account loging, m save games and my installed agmes, nothing else. In principle it is a game console. I do not even koad my steam wallet via this rig so to not enter paypal login data. I use a Steam installation on my Linux rig for any money-related action.

Dual boot, or two systems is better than using Wine under Linux. Wine is an open gate for Windows malware finding a way in to data stored on your Linux device. It is not reasonable to chnage to Linux for security reasons, and then allowing this open door for compromising security again. That just makes no sense. Linux software will not harmed. But stored data. Your collection of photos and texts, for example. Your email traffic. Your adress book.