View Single Post
Old 02-28-08, 09:37 AM   #4
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Whoops, I seem to be having a senior moment, which is worrying, as I'm not that old. I haven't used the editor since SH3 and only just getting round to using the SH4 version.

Evolve from entry date does something different, I think I used to think it was to do with weapons, but I'm not sure now. I checked my notes and they say that it's for courses and spawns.

As the game uses dynamic loading of units, the start date and end date affect what dates the unit will spawn between if encountered by a player. If you have a unit that starts in May 1941 and ends in July 1941 at Pearl harbour, then if the player sails into Pearl between those two dates, then the ship will be visible. If you give it a set of waypoints, then as soon as the player gets near it and the unit spawns, then it will start off on its course. If you have evolve from entry date ticked, then the game will work out where along the waypoints the ship would have been and will then use that point as the spawn point. So, if the player sails near to where the ship would have been if it had started its journey back in May, then it will appear where it would have got to, along the waypoint path.

It's no wonder I didn't remember this properly.

I think, as long as the waypoints are looped, so the units don't disappear at the end or stop, then if the player approaches your base, then between the dates you specified, they'll get that air group. I'm assuming that your using waypoints to patrol a certan area around the base? In that case, as the planes move so fast evolve from entry date will simulate the aircraft flying a patrol route and will spawn an air group when the air groups course gets near to the player. If you didn't use evolve from entry date, they would only spawn when the player got close to the start point of the aircraft (at your base) and could sit happily in a spot that was meant to be patrolled without being bothered.

I'm not sure what the spawn radius is, I think it might be 20km, as that's the view distance in SH4, SH3 was 7.2 KM if I remember rightly.

So, in your example, you will only get one air group, but the type will change after September 31st 1943. If you want to have 2 air groups after September 31st, to simulate an increase in air cover for a more permanent base, you need to have the exit date of the first air group overlap the entry date of the second.

I think you can use the date filter at the top of the editor - set it to a certain date and it will show you what units exist at that time. It greys them out, or makes them disappear or something.

As you can probably tell, I'm not exactly sure what I just said is in any way accurate, as I was wrong about 2 hours ago with my first answer!
Nisgeis is offline   Reply With Quote