View Single Post
Old 10-27-15, 12:33 PM   #20
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
The German U-boat campaign was the best Allied attack of the war. It alone was sufficient to ensure the defeat of Germany. Every man in a U-boat was wasted precious manpower that would have worked for Germany instead of against, had they been employed on land. Every worker who built and repaired U-boats, every ounce of steel, fuel, ordinance was one that would not contribute to German war aims. They were all working for the Allies and a fine job they did.
Ahem: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2349007#post2349007
Quote:
My recollection is scanty but Hans Goebler, "Steel Boats; Iron Hearts book should be on your required reading list along with Michael Gannon's Black May and the two volume: Clay Blairs' Hitler's U-boat War . Bottom line: is a wonderful forum dedicated to "died of a theory" emulation of a lost cause! ie That a 'Master Race' existed and offset war against the American/British combined navy was winnable. Strangely, the Fuhrer did not lie when he said "at sea I am a coward" the last place to be so when you are conquering a world which is 3/4 water....the German naval campaign of the two world wars was a political and military disaster...under both the petulant Kaiser and the Bavarian corporal...
Your right!
The deck-gun was a symbolic if impractical Arms of Krupp holdover of what caused the (2 phase) Great War of German Containment 1914-1945 to begin with. The Kaiser's "place in the sun" & colonial "Gun boat" diplomacy... and everyone villainously participated in it! Your right about the impracticability but SH's would be boring without deck guns, just shooting eels, and then we wouldn't have a nice submarine forum

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote