View Single Post
Old 06-26-16, 07:52 AM   #3
Terox_
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make about teamspeak use or any other 3rd party comms application

lets assume for a moment, this continues developing and the following scenario occurs,
  • a dedicated server option is made available
  • PvP is made available
  • A gaming community hosts a server for it

Ideally the game should promote the useage of VON and sending encrypted messages via the enigma machine to friendly ships.
Meaning VON and enigma machine use should have advantages over teamspeak, in addition to adding immersion to the game

However typically in most games the opposite happens, so you end up with 1 side using VON and another using teamspeak, the teamspeak players having an advantage.

So my point was, take this into consideration when developing the game, making sure that useage of the enigma machine and VON is more advantageous than teamspeak.

How one would do this will require a lot of thought.
I can see how controlling VON in game can be used to restrict comms or add other elements of gameplay, eg poor transmission, reception when underwater or far away, or the ability of the enemy to intercept those transmissions if they were tuned into the correct frequency. All of which promotes the use of a 3rd party comms app such as teamspeak

What one would do to promote its use over teamspeak though is a hard one to answer.
Maybe using VON, enigma, automatically updates the map on known enemy positions, for any friendly ships receiving that data. Something like that would encourage VON/Enigma use over teamspeak use.
OR
The ability to command other ships, eg give them waypoints, coordinate a wolfpack attack etc via enigma

That is the point I was trying to make and as such this early development stage is the place to start putting any foundations in for that.

On a slightly different note
I run a gaming community and have done for well over a decade. The number of games I and our members have played since we started are too numerous to list. The majority of those games claim teamwork, but when you get into the nitty gritty of the game you find they have none, typically due to some "reward" system that promotes solo play rather than teamwork. World of warships is a fine example of this.

To get teamwork working you need to set a precedence from the start and support it with the in-game tools and systems. If you don't get it right from the start then new players simply copy the way the existing players do things and this is a very difficult chain to break.

Last edited by Terox_; 06-26-16 at 08:03 AM.
Terox_ is offline   Reply With Quote