View Single Post
Old 05-03-12, 04:57 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Very nice indeed. I'm mulling over this one, I keep rewatching the Brave Warriors series, I think this is as close to a Cold War Fulda Gap tank-sim that is available and will be available for the near future.

I've tooled around in M1 Tank Platoon II a bit, and usually wound up with my hull in one field and my turret in the other. Artillery is a swine, that much I have had ingrained into me.

How good are the tutorials? I would probably slot into the M1A1 as I'm used to Abrams (Hope they do a 3D interior of the Challie one day though).
Ah, another one of the big old names of Subsim moving over!

Do not compare this to M1TP2. It does not compare, they are lightyears apart.

Good that you already learned that artillery is a swine. In SBP, if you do not respect it, it will brutalise you. What did Patton say? "Static defences are monuments to the stupidity of man." Good advise is to always get moving again after some shots fired. The enemy artillery's reaction time can be as low as I think 80 seconds. Lieste maybe has the precise value.

Most of the major vehicles - including the M1 - have tutorials that focus on several key aspects of each station. For the gunner, not only normal operations but also emergency operation are covered (using the secondary sights). The TC introduces sight override, TC fire, and unit command. Plus lessons on how to use artillery, move with overwatch tactics and so forth. Basically you get spoken through all things needed, since originally many vehicles had no written manuals (meanwhile, the major players in the car park have).

Handling and operating the tanks is not that difficult, at best gunnery needs practice, especially if EMES and the other hightech gizzmos went to bed early. Gunnery without auto-lead, laser range finders and thermal imagers can be a sweat-pumping, hair-raising affair. If you tend to curse, send out the wife before start playing.

The system-depth is not such a complex issue as with Falcon 4 or DCS A-10, for example. The avionics of fighters and tanks just do not compare. You get rolling sooner in a tank, than you get flying in a plane. The challenge of SBP comes from tactics, using the terrain, and timing.

If you have questions, ask. I'll be happy to be your obedient servant. SBP has seen some nice additions in recent two releases, playable forward observers (both vehicles with long range optics and crawling infantrymen) to use to sneak on the enemy and call artillery down on him. Playable infantry missile launchers. Playable infantry MGs. Playable UAVs and UGVs. It'S a good time to join.

Just for the record: no airplanes currently, and helicopters are a compromise. Infantry is a construction site currently, it sometimes is useful, sometimes not. Improved infantry AI is annoiucned for next upgrade end of this year. The focus of SBP is mechanised forces, tanks, IFVs, this is where its full competence lies.