View Single Post
Old 01-10-18, 02:49 AM   #5
FullMetalADCAP
Gunner

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Wolf View Post
I have the ability to model and texture the control rooms and sonar shacks of multiple classes of US boats, and can tell you from personal experience that it takes a LOT of hard work to make the sets look accurate and decent-looking, while keeping the poly count low enough to work within the game engine (probably Unity.)

While a lot of the same equipment can be used to populate each set, the layouts of each class of boat varies. A lot of in-depth research goes into establishing reference material. Submarine interiors are completely packed with piping, cabling, and ventilation lines before the equipment is installed. All of this has to be modeled in 3D. 2D would detract from the rest of the established graphics which contribute so much to the game. Some of my (old) work is posted in my user CP.

CCC
I would think there could be a way to just model zoomed in panels and not entire spaces with too much detail. This could be generic panels/displays for all US vessels and something different and generic for all Russian vessels. While it might not be 100% accurate for someone who knows as much as you do, it would suit the needs for 99.9% of players who've never stepped foot on a US or Russian submarine who want something immersive and don't need 100% accuracy.

Certainly a 3D visual would be superior to a 2D one. Maybe by keeping it small to just a zoomed in visual of a specific panel/display instead of an entire comparment/space on board the submarine it could be done without needing a huge budget with lots of unnecessary visuals.

Like when you sit down at the hydrophone station in Silent Hunter 3. Your head movement is limited to keep your focus on the panel/display before you.

Or in Dangerous Waters, you just see the panel of the station you are at. It would certainly be better than always seeing your sub from a exterior view with tons of popup panels that get in the way of the exterior view and are small in size which makes it hard to view them. And for a real hardcore player, just playing the game via panels and no exterior view would be the ultimate challenge since that's what it's like in real life. Not sure they attach waterproof GoPros to submarines these days so the Captain can see his ride from the outside and hack into the GoPro of enemy subs so he can see their ride also. LOL!

FullMetalADCAP is offline   Reply With Quote