View Single Post
Old 06-22-11, 09:16 AM   #1561
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Stiebler,

I would strongly advice to allow scuttling the uboat even without any hull damage, as there are situations where you realistically would have done so even if not much damaged or not damaged at all. For example:

1) If missing a rendezvous with a tanker or uboat and running out of fuel in an enemy-controlled area

2) If getting damage that would not allow you to submerge or even return to base, in enemy-controlled areas

3) If cornered without escape and preferring to scuttle the boat in a deep water area, so that the enemy can't rescue it.

In general, the decission to abandon and scuttle UBoat belonged to the commander, and he needed to evaluate the circumstances and could decide so even if with little or no damage. Of course, he would need to later provide a clear explanation of why he decided to scuttle the uboat, but if his reasons were accepted he would get another command. Since this last aspect is impossible to code, I would simply leave the scuttle option entirely open, even if with no damage at all -as it was in real life- and let the player decide wether he deserves a new uboat or not.