View Single Post
Old 11-15-17, 05:47 PM   #1
MR_AUS
Watch

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Crash into non-activated torpedoes

Hi all,
Really enjoying this game, gets better every time I play.

Watching The Hunt For Red October for the millionth time last night and was fascinated about the time they crash into an oncoming torp before it activated. For those not too familiar with this scene in the movie, what happens is this (what are you doing playing Cold Waters if you have not watched this movie):
The crew of the Dallas is on the Red October and the Russian and US crews are exchanging pleasantries when all of a sudden they hear a Russian torp fly overhead. Capt. Ramius gets his remaining officers and the US personnel to man the crew stations and gets the sub underway. Sonar reports a torpedo in the water on the bearing of 315. Capt. Ramius commands Jack Ryan to turn the Red October to the incoming torp bearing of 315. He hesitates and Cmdr. Mancuso (Capt. of the US Sub Dallas), tells him not to do it as he will be heading straight at an incoming torp, not something that any sub captain would do, they would rater to turn away and try to shake the torp off. Trusting in Ramius, Ryan makes the turn to 315. Ramius remains as cool as his perfectly shaped beard, orders the sub to go to flank speed and then engages in a discussion with Ryan about books. The rest of the crew are saying their prayers and expecting the worst. Next thing, the torpedo smashes into the bow of the sub and disintegrates into hundreds of pieces. Situation diffused, Ryan turns to Mancuso and asks what just happened. Mancuso, impressed with his Soviet counterparts says "combat tactics Ryan, he closed the range of the torpedo before it had a chance to arm".

My question is this: Has anyone tried this tactic in the game (I am going to give it a shot, but am doubtful it will work, it may take a few goes)?
I know that if it was me that had shot the torp at a sub and noticed that it was turning into the torp before it was activated, I would take advantage of the wire guided function and just move the activation point. As for non wire guided torps, the situation would be different (or if the wire broke).
Also I have noticed that the Soviet subs do not change the heading of their torps once fired and they only divert from their fired course once activated.
Side note, this tactic would not work with helo, plane or missile launched torps as they immediately go active once they hit the water.