View Single Post
Old 01-21-19, 07:49 PM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Unless a fighting war is fictionalized up, where would the exciting game play be in a modern nuclear submarine?
We all should be prepared for modern/future wars. Thinking: future war will be similar to last one is usually forecast of defeat :P
Before WWII Kriegsmarine made many "war games" for improving submarine warfare and determining submarine role in next war. Today most Navies do the same but for larger scale. Why you think only WWI /WWII is exciting when most sub warfare knowledge was improved/developed after last WW?

Quote:
Hours of moving very slowly and making gradual turns either following someone or being followed by someone, may be realistic but I am not sure it will be a sell-able game concept.
Hmm i think this sentence is closer to WWI/WWII submariners than modern subs.

Quote:
One of the mechanics, that, in my opinion, makes the SH series enjoyable is the emphasis on the personal skill of the captain. The captain was the one making the observations and making the gut decision whether to attack, when to attack and how to attack.
I dont want to crew management in good modern subsim game. In my opinion it was added to SH series because game without it was too empty and little boring (it's my own opinion). BTW sending crew to bunk beds, to mess or WC is NOT (and never was) role of capitan

Quote:
For me, it is the technological limitations of WWI and WWII submarines that make it attractive as a game.
It's quite romantic but in other hand technological limitations decrease submarine role to "sinking tonnage". Even attacking warships was too risky and WWII sub Captains just avoided it. Modern sub can do much more tasks including engaging strong battle groups, SOF, ELINT, screening own forces, eliminating enemy subs, striking on crucial installations and much, much more. Submarines during WWII was able only to sinking tonnage and very limited to some other tasks. And one of most important is cooperation with other forces like warships with high variety of roles, airplanes, land missile battalions, satelites... This level of mixed forces cooperation wasn't available during WWII. (and yes.. wolfpack role was only small % of total submarine warfare in these wars).

Playing MP missions in DW gives community high spectrum of modern naval warfare. The bad think is - DW is quite old and focused only on ASW. All rest is only shadow of main aspect.

I would like to play new modern sub/warship simulator game in level of commanding similar to DW but with better projection of current time possibilities.
Walking on ship board or interiors would be nice but its only eye-candy for first hour - nothing more