View Single Post
Old 06-03-13, 04:14 PM   #4
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dakted View Post
The save system in SH4 is pretty buggy. I've found that if I do new saves for each mission with no overwrites then the save-related CTDs are kept to a minimum.
Agreed, but I never overwrite my saved games. Another thing to look at is file size. Saved games above 8 megs are guaranteed show-stoppers. A corrupted file every now and then is acceptable. I have formed a habit of saving very very often. In case of a corrupt save I go back in time till I find a good one. My experience: A "proven" good save never fails to load. A save that has caused a ctd once will do so consistently.

The post-Turmumbau-dirty-workaround-issue is different: After combining the new ActiveUserPlayerUnits.cfg with the remaining files of the original save everything is fine until the boat reaches the harbor: After starting a new patrol all saves fail to load, even those that used to be good saves. I can reproduce this problem.

I can understand that the combination of data in the (new) ActiveUserPlayerUnits.cfg and data in the remaining files (old) that come from different saves can cause problems when new information is written to the files on leaving the base. What I cannot understand is how this could affect data in files from the previous patrol, but that's what's happening: Saves that used to load fine won't open anymore.

Quote:
I've had to purge all savegames before to fix CTD issues .. but I keep the purged files so that there's a chance I can hack together a fix - as happened recently when crew injuries from a patrol were causing the next patrol to CTD when launching.
Maybe You could describe these hacking procedures in detail and I could put together a working save from my backup files

Quote:
If I'm ever offered a new conning tower, I hope I get the option to keep my old one ..
You can't: The new conning tower is mandatory. There is not even a choice of ending the career before the upgrade.

Quote:
*edit* The furthest I've played through to in OM is to the end of 1941. I tend to get sunk by bugs.
This seems weird. OM is out for a couple of years. There must be a handful of subsimmers that have made it to 45 or at least survived the three new conning towers (2 for Typ VII, one for Typ IX)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote