Old 02-28-21, 12:21 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: conserving fuel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMars View Post
Here's another interesting question: has anybody tried swapping back and forth from diesel to electric engines on the return home to conserve fuel? If so, would that actually work?
Yeah, it is doable & depends on the boat, I think.

I remember once doing a career start off with a Type II uboat, based out of Wilhelmshaven. (mind you, that this was in SH3... ) Ended getting a patrol order for the west side of England,, a bit of a stretch for a Type II. Just managed to complete the patrol... ended up the last bit of the return leg back to base... doing that submerge, run on batteries, surface after draining them down & night falling, recharge submerge after recharge then rinse, lather & repeat.

Long & short of it, by the time I hit base, the diesels were guzzling the dregs at the bottom of the tanks.. BUT... I did make it back to base.

So, again... Yeah, you can do it... should you do so on a continuous basis... NOT so sure on that.. all it takes is 1 good attack on the uboat & well... ya in for a world of hurt... with the worst a complete loss of your career.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.