View Single Post
Old 09-03-18, 07:31 PM   #1
EvidencePlz
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Please help! I'm desperately looking for a way to use Real Navigation with SH3!

Hi folks,

I'm a total beginner in the submarine sim genre so please forgive me if I mistakenly say something inappropriate. But long story short, I'm desperately looking for a way to use Real Navigation in Silent Hunter 3.

When I say Real Navigation, I mean there will literally and absolutely be no enemy or friendly ship contact on the map ever, and on top of that, my own submarine/ship will not be displayed either.

I wanna do navigation the exact same way the real U-boat captains during ww1 and ww2 did, and it's very important to me. I wanna use sextant, geometry, trigonometry, algebra, calculus, navigation charts, star charts and literally everything that's required to track my ship and enemy ship.

If required, I'll even use real paper-based graphs, protractors, compass, pen, ruler, sextants and what not! I'm going for absolutely authentic and hundred percent realism, the realism that the real u-boat captains had to deal with. Heck, if my math is weak I'll buy maths tutorial dvds to learn it.

I'm a big fan of the movie Das Boot and I have the 5+ hour long version that I've already watched more than 20 times. There was a part when the captain asked the navigator to know what the current location the submarine is located at, and the navigator replied by saying, "I've been tracking it and plotting it on this map but it's very inaccurate at the moment because of the ongoing storm and low visibility. I haven't been able to spot the sun properly even. So please give me some more time." I want that level of hardcore, true realism when it comes to tracking my ship and the enemy ships. I will absolutely not tolerate any sort of arcadism or gimmickry in my Silent Hunter 3 navigation.

I've been planning on downloading and installing GWX 3.0, one of the super mega mods, to accomplish this, but then found out that I wasn't sure if it comes with real navigation. I'm sure SH5 did, as when I installed the TWoS mod, it offered to enable Real Navigation.

So, I'd be highly grateful if any kind-hearted person can faithfully answer some questions:

1. Does the GWX 3.0 mod for SH3 come with hardcore, ultra-realistic Real Navigation which I described above?

2. If not, then which mod does?

3. I've looked into SH5 mod folder where it looked like TDW's real navigation mod might be useable in SH3 as well, as the original author Van (aka Kaleun_Freddie / K_Freddie) wrote some articles and help files on this mod. Is my assumption true?

Please note that I've already searched this website for hours for such a mod using keywords such as 'silent hunter 3 real navigation', 'K_Freddie' etc and got a bit far, but the actual mod for real navigation no longer exists as the site where they are hosted no longer exists.

Please help if you can. I'm willing to financially donate to you if you can help me with this. Whether I can use Real Navigation in SH3 the same way I'm able to in SH5 (thank you so much the author of TWoS for the awesome work) will determine if I'm gonna keep or uninstall SH3.

Thank you all in advance.
EvidencePlz is offline   Reply With Quote