View Single Post
Old 03-22-06, 08:23 AM   #4
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Well, I think I put my 2 cents in, even if I might be considered one of the Die-hard DW fans ...

First of all, I have no clue whatsoever about SBP except seing the videos and reading part of the review, while this game looks certainly interesting I probably won't play a minute of it, because paying 125 bucks to try it, is not my thing. But hey, maybe a Demo sees the light of day somewhen and gets me interested for real. So based on this I won't even start on comparing DW to SBP, neither can I compare the doings of the two responsible Developers. With that being said ...

The patching of Dangerous Waters may seem a bit ... prolonged. But then you might consider the scope and inner complexitiy of the game. I'm now part of the BETA crowd (c'mon Jamie, I finally made the credits so I can tell) since before the release of the SF version, ie 1.02 and could watch from close by how the fixing of one problem introduces another, sometimes bigger problem. Tracking down the reason for that and fixing it is time consuming which in turn costs money. And as Jamie pointed out often enough, money for DW as a game is sparse.

On the issue of subs having real problems in DW even with 1.03 ... well maybe I'm to blind to notice but yesterday I played a MP game in a Seawolf for bit over 2 hours, with a lot of depth and speed changing and aside from the fact that the sub goes up at nearly 10kts when I ordered 5kts (with the sound signature of 5kts) I could not notice any big problems. Turns were Ok, no spirals of death, hell even my TA lived through it. So I didn't find any showstoppers last night ... I had some fun sinking two Akulas before getting hit by -27s from the last Kilo Imp due to my being stupid.

Yep, there are some things in DW which would make it more "real" if they would actually be realised, like one of my pet peeves, the radar detection of masts, but well ... life goes on. It's not perfect so the players have to adjust by using certain rules or other tactics or whatnot to make it work ... and work it does. I for one have a lot of fun playing - unless I get shot down or end up in the drink because of my own stupidity.

Without wanting to kick a discussion loose about the goods and the bads of DW (or SBP for that matter) I want to point out, if you just played it for a short time you should not be so quick with ultimative statements. Thats why I refrained from making any statements about SBP (or some other game I have never played much) because those would not be really "educated".

Cheers
OS

P.S. : As far as Customer Support goes, I think SCS is second to none (at least the companies I played games from). But that's my personal opinion and as the saying goes "opinions are like a**holes ... everybody got one"
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote