View Single Post
Old 10-16-17, 10:41 AM   #36
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Fire wise probably; now we'll await the mudslides from the bare-burned steep hillsides when the winter rains hit. Rain is expected around Thursday which will help with the hotspots still burning to the north on both sides of Napa and in Sonoma. The smoke is still discernible so the house stays buttoned up today. The fire hazard is a constant of this area as with my traffic stop two years ago, the primary concern is always to prevent a fire; it is everyman's concern:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2412132&postcount=788 The current rumor investigation is that high winds caused old PG&E power lines to spark.
Quote:
The fires currently burning in Northern California, particularly in Sonoma, Napa, and Yuba Counties, spanned more than 265 square miles as of the morning of October 12, 2017. Weather conditions Thursday could reverse some containment efforts, as the forecast calls for winds gusting up to 45 mph. Emergency workers have reported multiple instances of power lines falling down and electrical transformers exploding, leading some to suggest utility giant PG&E may have caused or contributed to the fires now scorching Northern California through poor equipment maintenance and noncompliance with state fire risk regulations.
But a dragging trailer hitch chain, vehicle backfire, or glass bottle in sunlight can cause it: 40 dead; 200 missing; and 5000+ homes destroyed. Most people in the suburban mountain interface understand the danger of beautiful remote locations; this monster broke the rules: tearing through an entire subdivision in minutes in downtown Santa Rosa. Currently the fire in my area is 50% contained; 11,000 firefighters are on 12 fires. The winds are currently very lenient and the temperatures are cool- all in our favor. Fire officials report the worst is past....EDIT: the news report on TV just now is that a fire tanker truck overturned on the steep Oakville Grade just north of me; killing the driver; I hope it was not the gentleman I spoke to yesterday while he filled his equipment from a Dry Creek Rd. fire-hydrant near my home. Crews have been pulling 24 hour shifts but are expected to rotate properly now that sufficient manpower resources are at hand. Fire water tanker-tenders are a particular hazard: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/hid14.pdf

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-18-17 at 11:48 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote