View Single Post
Old 01-19-18, 12:51 PM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazsi View Post
I don't understand why I get contacts reported "long range" with a red square plotted, direction of travel, estimated speed (slow, med, etc), ship and they're so far off I can't catch them.

My sub has "air radar" but no "surface radar." Do I need a newer sub?

I guess my main question is why do some plot and some don't? What's the difference?

Thanks for you help, propbeanie!
The very far off reports are position reports that are intercepted, decoded, and sent out to subs in the area. Extend the tail line, guestimate their speed, and see if you can intercept them. Slow would be about 5 knots, Medium could be 8 - 10 knots, and Fast would be above that. Note the time listed in the report when you click on it and calculate from there. I use the compass to plot approx how far they will go along the reported (tail) course line and also plot what course & speed I need to take to see if it is possible to intercept them. I've intercepted many of these 24 hours +/- after receiving the Ultra position report on the map.

I use a similar method on the close red reports.

Radar - you can turn off the surface SJ A-Scope & PPI radar to stop the surface reports when you're nearing your base but you can not turn off the SD air search radar reports. If you are close to your Home Port like Pearl or Midway, these are friendly air contacts.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 01-20-18 at 10:30 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote