Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 01-10-19, 09:46 AM   #7102
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Now that you mention it, there were a couple of times, while I was testing FOTRSU v0.71, where I noticed a propensity for a submerged boat to glide forward like it was on ice. Periscope depth Balao and it would coast for what seemed like an eternity after ordering all stop from 2 knots. I failed to speak up about it at the time. But the boat did seem to me to have too little water resistance. Or at least that was my perception compared to stock SH4. It seems to me that some earlier version of FOTRSU did not display this slick hull way of continuing forward at all stop. Anyone else ever notice this?
oh yeah. and FOTRSU is not the only mod in which your boat can take up to a mile and/or several minutes to cease forward movement from low speed.
this is something you have to discover when you get your boat: how does she handle at low speed. you need to know that so that when you are closing a target convoy, submerged and at low speed you are able to get close enough without overshooting your effective torpedo range.
someone in an earlier post mentioned that he was 400 yds from a target when he fired his torpedos and got no hits. too close. maybe because he didnt learn how to slow/stop his boat.
i am not scolding anyone, just saying you need to get familiar with your boat's handling.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 01-10-19 at 09:57 AM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote