View Single Post
Old 10-21-15, 01:50 PM   #3
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Interesting idea, and a good idea for schools, but FPS style games of pre-WWII may struggle to adapt the FPS mentality to the tactics of the time.

Take for example Napoleonic Wars, a mod for Mount and Blade, a lovely mod, but unless you form up an online squad the likelihood of you engaging in a Napoleonic era line battle is incredibly low. It does sometimes happen, I recall an excellent defence in a 'Capture the Fort' map which involved a room of British soldiers in a two rank line which worked brilliantly until a well aimed howitzer shell killed us all.

But, if they put in a single player side to it then it will work out well.
I think something you're overlooking is that this game is designed from the get-go to be what it is - it's not a mod. Plus, people going into it know what it's about - they're playing it because they want to play that kind of thoughtful FPS. So I don't see a problem at all with that happening.

You might also have noticed there appeared in the game some sort of indicator ala the Total War games of a formation placed on the ground by the Officer when they engaged the formation of Rebels on the hill. So it appears there may be game mechanics in-place to facilitate Napoleonic tactics.

I, too, played that Mount and Blade mod - which is what has me interested in this as it was quite fun!