View Single Post
Old 08-19-14, 10:14 AM   #25
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak View Post
Interesting radio interview with one of Assange's Australia legal team: http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/triplej/..._2014_8_19.mp3

Ignore the bit about Team Australia. It's simple an embarrassment.
Listened to that and found it very interesting. All of it. Firstly it would appear that the charges from Sweden against Julian will be needed to be addressed first and then later the USA gets the bite.

But what really interested me was Abbot's take on "Australia First" with regards to immigrants. To quote him: "You don't migrate to our country unless you want to join our team"

Two questions here:

Is he correct in his statement?

And the second one is:

What is meant by "our team".

Both of Abbot's statements are those that are been questioned by political scientists.

What is the Nation State? Are we today, moving away from cultural, linguistic, ethnic foundations that gave rise to nation states?

In my country our national flag has changed, street names have been changed, cities too, anthem, icons on currency etc, etc. Yes, this has all been brought about by a majority now able to rule itself which no one can challenge - but coming back to Abbot's sentiments this is not about an indigenous populace wronged. This about people WANTING to move to another country and WANTING to change its character.

I hope Harold Wilson wherever he may be is turning in his grave.
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote