View Single Post
Old 10-20-13, 06:26 AM   #6
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERdeBOER View Post
Is there a good download area? Or is all spread out in different forums?
The "official" download page is here: http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand this, are you talking about a game update or a database images one?
From today, both

DB-image packs update: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=1994

And new game update, released today: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=1996

Quote:
Only for weapons? No for units?
Platform hyperlinks are already there. While having a unit selected, click on the unit's class on the unit-status window. The DB-viewer will open up and show you the page for that unit.

Quote:
I know and I've already done that, but my point is that for me is useful to know some things, but no others. For instance: 11:29:22 - New contact! Designated SKUNK #5 - Detected by USS North Carolina [Sensors: AN/BLQ-10(V)1] at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
This is an in-game message. What's AN/BLQ-10(V)1???? "Go to the database", you could say, but that's my point, I don't want to need to go to the database... I went and found that is... active radar!! Apart from the fact that a submarine shouldn't have the use of radar on as default (I didn't change it),
It's a passive ESM sensor actually. Subs use those very regularly when at periscope depth.

Quote:
would have been far more useful a message saying: 11:29:22 - New RADAR contact! Designated SKUNK #5 - Detected by USS North Carolina- at 255deg - Estimated 139NM. Or, even better: 11:29:22 - USS North Carolina - New RADAR contact! Designated SKUNK #5 - at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
And this is a simple example, messages involving missiles hit/miss are more complex.
If this would be followed by a voice alert, even better.
This is a double-edged sword. Consider the two following message log samples, reporting on the same events:

New contact! Designated VAMPIRE #5 - Detected by USS North Carolina [Sensors: AN/BLQ-10(V)1] at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
New contact! Designated VAMPIRE #6 - Detected by USS North Carolina [Sensors: AN/BLQ-10(V)1] at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
New contact! Designated VAMPIRE #7 - Detected by USS North Carolina [Sensors: AN/BLQ-10(V)1] at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
New contact! Designated VAMPIRE #8 - Detected by USS North Carolina [Sensors: AN/BLQ-10(V)1] at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
New contact! Designated VAMPIRE #9 - Detected by USS North Carolina [Sensors: AN/BLQ-10(V)1] at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
New contact! Designated VAMPIRE #10 - Detected by USS North Carolina [Sensors: AN/BLQ-10(V)1] at 255deg - Estimated 139NM

And:

USS North Carolina - New RADAR contact! Designated VAMPIRE #5 - at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
USS North Carolina - New RADAR contact! Designated VAMPIRE #6 - at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
USS North Carolina - New RADAR contact! Designated VAMPIRE #7 - at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
USS North Carolina - New RADAR contact! Designated VAMPIRE #8 - at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
USS North Carolina - New RADAR contact! Designated VAMPIRE #9 - at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
USS North Carolina - New RADAR contact! Designated VAMPIRE #10 - at 255deg - Estimated 139NM

Which of the two notifies you most immediately that you are under a missile attack?

Quote:
I would like the log window to be a bit wider, but there's no possibility of shrinking the map window more than that.
The unit control window can't be resized, so I have to move it sometimes to see what's behind. Would be great to be able to integrate it on the right column. Or being able to resize it and put it under the log window.
My laptop's window resolution is 1280x800.
Interesting. The external log window was added primarily for use by players who have the extra desktop real estate to make use of it, particularly those with multiple monitors (one may argue that printing the log directly on the map is more efficient if space is limited). Let us look what we can do about that. Thanks!

Quote:
This reminds me a bug I've found!: my windows in in Spanish and, if you look at the time row, the date comes in Spanish. You can see it in the image.
That was deliberate . We wanted that date to suit each user's selected locale in order to make it more personal. Most guys like it. Maybe add as option?

Quote:
Good to know. Be careful with background music, though, is almost impossible to have a good one than people can listen for more than 20 minutes... I use to switch music off in almost every game.
Quite true. OTOH we had objections so passionate that guys actually went to the trouble to dig up old FC videos to show us that they'd like background music. We thought that, being a desktop windows app, people would just fire up their favorite mp3 player in the background and blast away. We were correct, but not 100% so

Quote:
Thanks to you for your answers!
You're welcome! We hope you have endless fun with the game and feel free to join us on our or MG's forums too.
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote