View Single Post
Old 10-10-18, 08:44 AM   #30
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

A few more observations about this game... In many, if not most, RPGs I play I have a love-hate relationship with gear. It's fun to find new stuff, and to decide on what to use, what to keep or upgrade, what to sell, or drop along the side of the road. There's the opportunity cost struggle that makes decisions about it all fun. Do I carry this +1 Agility weapon, or that +2 Strength /-1 Agility one?

In the end though what happens is I end up keeping almost all of it. Most rarely get used again, but I still have it! It leads to inventory clutter and storage issues and well that's why I love it and hate it at the same time.

KCD streamlines all of this. I've been carrying the same sword and bow for 40 hours now. There's no enchantment, or 17 swords I might want to choose from. This has it's own charm, and eliminates the whole distraction. Not saying it's better, but is at least refreshing, and lets me just get on with the game instead of spending hours obsessing over my inventory.

Another thing I want to mention is alchemy. Has there ever been a better, more detailed or more cool, alchemy system in any RPG? And I'm saying that even though I don't really use the alchemy aside from plot-related requirements. I'm impressed by it nonetheless.

On the flip side I think they got the archery wrong. I use it, a lot. But for a game that has realism and authenticity as it's calling card I'm a little baffled by how they implemented it. It would be fine, as is, if you were looking down the arrow shaft to aim. Instead, Henry holds the bow off to the right about a foot, like he's scared of the recoil or something. Over time you become acclimated to it and can do OK. For some situations, like stealth-killing a bandit camp I will enable the cursor so I can be effective at range. In all though I think they got this part wrong (not to mention the traverse-sway thing)

Even still I hunt all the time and no archery contest can be passed by without a quick go. The floating logs one in Ledetchko is fun.

The levelling system lacks panache. It works well enough, but it's so pedestrian in this game. Choosing skills, traits and talents is usually one of the most appealing aspects of any RPG for me, but here it just isn't. In a sense I guess you could say it fits the stark nature of the game, but I would have liked a more robust, more interesting system

Last edited by Threadfin; 10-10-18 at 09:31 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote