View Single Post
Old 05-14-15, 09:52 PM   #15
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBones View Post
Thanks TorpX...as Ralphie said..."Oh f-u-u-u-u-dge!" I suspected the rudder problem was a tough nut to crack, but hoped that someone with your skills might have been looking into it. Maybe the changes you made in ISP are "close enough"...at least reducing the drag and fixing the turning radius; eh? I have just started using ISP2.6 for TMO_RSRD and would be happy to share my thoughts on the new behavior of the "Silversides" after I get a patrol or two under my belt...if you want those thoughts, that is.
I do think ISP gives a big improvement to turning. That's not to say it is perfect, but certainly better.

Subs' turning radii is about the same (according to sources I had, as it should be), but speed loss is much less now.

Ships, I greatly reduced rudder drag. Ships like DE's, kaibokans, and small craft can turn tighter; big ships BB's, CA's, large merchants, turn slow, but also lose less speed.

I could not prevent constant-helming behavior, but at least they will not slow down so much.

I used figures for the HMS Hood, supplied by Sailor Steve, to adjust large ships. I was able to get a very close match for the timing and speed loss (and by implication the turning circle). I didn't have detailed info for most ships, so I adjusted them on a type by type basis. I wanted to post figures for this, but I seem to have lost them.

Quote:
...three cheers if you do fix that annoying "Yes Sir" bugaboo.
I would add to this, the oft repeated 'gun loading', and 'depth 20 feet' entries that don't really tell me anything useful, but crowd out potentially useful log info. For example, it is nice to be able to go back and see at 1946 you ordered course 345°. Unfortunately, there is no entry when the crew turns to reach the next waypoint; kind of a flaw, imo. As well, an automatic update of log for weather changes would be helpful.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote