View Single Post
Old 09-24-12, 08:50 PM   #33
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I had the same concern for some time and avoided mods that required script extender for a long time.

Finally I wanted to try Fallout Wanders Edition and it requires FOSE so I installed it.It is very easy simply look it up on youtube if you can half way use a PC then you can mod any Bethesda game easily.

There is a stutter remover for FO3 that requires FOSE that worked wonders for my FO3 GOTY which liked to crash left and right while the exact same game but with all purchased DLCs did not.Anyway with FOSE and that stutter fixer and a merged patch the game runs better than it ever did before.

Anyway what I avoid are mods that require tons of esps in order to work well.Most of my mods only add in weapons or armors or change the weather/lighting effects and I use EVE which does lovely things for your energy weapons none of these require SE.And I do not use any mods that require me to change .ini either.

Like I said a back up file is a thing of beauty.

Very few mods truly require an installer all those installers do is unzip a file and put it in the correct place you can unzip a NMM or FMM file and take the needed files and do it yourself manually.

What I look for in a mod is endorsements generally speaking crappy buggy mods do not get a large number of endorsements.I also check the comments and if I see lots of reasonable posts where people have problems it is a no go for me.

The Edit files I mentioned are easy to use and install they just go into the main directory folder "Fallout 3" for example and that's it they really help you with load order and spotting a funky mod.First time I used those I found that several of my basic mods did not jive fully and I then went and d/led the files again.

The ENB and the other crazy graphic mods I avoid those.I think what gets most people is mod souping and running too many and stacking past the 4GB limit of the program or perhaps even their PCs RAM.Also dont get overly concerned about the horror stories often times those "victims" have no idea what so ever what they are doing.

The key is moderation only run maybe 3 or 4 big time mods at most and run only about 35-40 esps/esms total.I consider EVE or Nevada Skies to be major mods.
EVE by the way is amazing and makes energy weapons what they where in the old days of fallout and Fallout 2....fun!

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42666

I see people that run 140-150 files! That is just nonsense surely they aren't really making use of each of those mods and it most likely is bogging their game down and crashing alot.

Last edited by Stealhead; 09-24-12 at 09:00 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote