View Single Post
Old 05-13-19, 01:38 PM   #1
Nufsed
Sparky

Downloads: 500
Uploads: 0
Default UBOAT The next SH5?

I do believe it is.....................

I love submarine simulations! And my fascination with subs goes back over sixty years, my very first subsim was Microprose Silent Service closely followed by SS2, (anyone remember that theme tune?) overtime PC's became more capable and the sims more believable and then! Silent Hunter 5 appeared, I thought all my Christmas's had come at once.......Until I played it for the first time, my God what a bag of shhhhhhh. To say I was disappointed would have been an understatement, so, back to my fully modded SH3 until the mod wizards at Subsim.com started what was to become a marathon project and very slowly bought SH5 up to a (very) playable level, and I was happy, for a while. Because there is only so much you can modify without breaking into the base code. I played SH5 on and off but gradually the shine was wearing off my dream sim. Then I saw the U BOOT Kickstarter campaign and signed up immediately. I followed the progress and realised that this dev team were aiming much higher than any any previous submarine sim en-carnation, they were adding another dimension, that of trying to keep a group of terrified sailors calm whilst some other sailors were dropping 3000lb barrels filled to the brim with high explosives on them! Interesting to say the least. Initially, I have to say, when I first got the beta release it was very glitchy, but the patches kept coming and gradually over the weeks the game started to take shape. So here we are at Early Access on update B118. I have a lot of hours in this sim (over 60), but B118 is really starting to show the potential that is going to be UBOAT. The game engine is sturdy in that I have not had one single CTD or freeze for that matter. I am currently on the verge of my eighth patrol after making the trip to La Spezia and running the gauntlet that is the straits of Gibraltar, yes I was depth charged and yes I did manage to keep the crew calm and doing there respective tasks. All the systems added so far like upgrades and rep rewards seem to be working okay. Already UBOAT is streets ahead of SH5 at this stage of development and the updates are nothing short of breathtaking with the speed at which they appear. For an EA game this is exceptionally playable and I wait (once again) with baited breath for the next (rumored to be massive) update. So if you are sitting on the fence and love the idea of commanding a submarine stalking a convoy for the measly price of £23 you can. I love this game and slowly but surely it is becoming the subsim I have always dreamed of.

Nufsed is offline   Reply With Quote