View Single Post
Old 10-06-18, 01:40 AM   #5
Mspot
Bosun

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller1 View Post
All Virginia Class boats have four torpedo tubes and 12 Vertical Launch System (VLS) tubes.

From SSN-784 and above the 12 individual VLS tubes have been replaced by two SSGN style tube with 12 weapon slots.

SSN-21 boats (Seawolf etc) have eight torpedo tubes and no VLS.

As stated in several non-classified articles released by the US Navy, the three large panels on each side of the boat are the WAA (Wide Aperture Array). Part of the Sonar System.

Interesting note about four tubes on the Virginia class. I'll have to look again as I am certain the pics I've seen show six -- three each side. But, I'll take your word for it.

As for the WAA, part of the sonar system: I figured that. My note regarding that was that the pictures I've seen indicate that the Virginia class WAA panels are significantly larger than those on the Seawolf class.

Of all the other many differences, the last two, for now, are: I am assuming a hull array. Or has that been incorporated into the WAA? Or can you comment publicly? Then, the notes, questions regarding a popular as opposed to a propeller -- which many speculate was/is utilized on the Seawolf class; and the "X" fins/planes arrangement on the SSBNX program which infers it, too, is employed on the Virginia class.
Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: to every man upon this earth death come soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his gods.
Mspot is offline   Reply With Quote