View Single Post
Old 01-07-16, 01:03 PM   #105
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default The little galleon that could!

GOLDEN HINDOne of history's more notable warships. I was aboard her at Redwood City when she navigated the globe in 1987. This is the one replica at Southwark London, not the one at Brixham. "The deck beneath my feet was painted red, too, as it would have been in Drake's time, in order to hide spilled blood." A clear understanding of the bu$ine$$ at hand! Considered a sea-faring terrorist, ADM Sir Francis Drake, dubbed El Draque by the Spanish; King Philip II was said to have offered a reward of 20,000 ducats about £4 million (US$6.5m) by modern standards, for his life. A poor return IMHO: Near Lima, Drake captured a Spanish ship laden with 25,000 pesos of Peruvian gold, amounting in value to 37,000 ducats of Spanish money (about £7m by modern standards). Drake also discovered news of another ship, Nuestra Señora de la Concepción, which was sailing west towards Manila. Drake gave chase and eventually captured the treasure ship, which proved his most profitable capture.
Aboard Nuestra Señora de la Concepción, Drake found 80 lb (36 kg) of gold, a golden crucifix, jewels, 13 chests full of royals of plate and 26 tons of silver. THAT much balla$t took six days to transfer (at sea) to the Golden Hind! The Queen's half-portion of the loot surpassed the crown's revenue for one year!
[wiki]

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-07-16 at 01:09 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote