View Single Post
Old 01-21-11, 12:54 PM   #22
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon300 View Post
OK, so I'm not a Systems Analyst or other form of computer geek, but I surprised and delighted myself with the download and apparent good operation of SHI (v1.11) straight off the disk. So far, so good.
Next question, for those of you using with dosbox, is on the question of upgrades/patches (even no-cd crack, if such a thing exists, to save the disk from - God Forbid! - damage).

I'm concerned if I run a patch, like to v1.3 etc, the .exe file will no longer be recognised by d-fend. Experience?
I don't use DOSBox but am searching for a procedure for someone else regarding running SH1 from DOSBox and I stumbled on your message.

Sure, upgrade 1.1 to 1.3. DOSBox is running SH off the exe or a bat file (whatever you told it to run from). I'd copy your entire SILENT folder that works to a backup location, upgrade to 1.3 and if it doesn't work delete it and put your working install back.

To run without the CD copy the entire BUD folder from the CD to your HD and point to it rather than your CD. The game is looking for the movie that is the largest smk file in the BUD folder. For example copy the BUD folder to SILENT\BUD\. Then edit BUD in SHPATH.INI:
BUD =BUD\

Happy Hunting!

Art

As a side-note, the smk movies can be viewed with a program that plays smacker movies.

Edit - Oh yeah, my SHCE CD is worth more than $500.00 it is priceless!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote