View Single Post
Old 06-25-18, 08:10 PM   #1
Valadon
Nub

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default New Subsimmer, is this the game for me?

Hello Everyone,

I recently picked up Cold Waters on the steam sale and (for the most part) had a blast with it. It's my first subsim since a Janes game I played a long long time ago. However there are a few things that I don't really like about Cold Waters and it made me a bit hungry for a more realistic sim.

My biggest problem with Cold Waters was the campaign map, I don't enjoy moving around on that map and the somewhat chaotic nature of the campaign in general. I would much rather actually sail to where I need to go (with time compression) or set a course and have the AI sail me there and alert me if anything interesting happens. Also the game felt a little like bit more like an arcade flight sim game than a subsim at times, with the magical outside the sub cam and fast paced controls.

As much as I enjoyed it I think I might like something a bit more realistic, but it looks like my options are severally limited at the moment. It looks like SH5 is the only other somewhat modern realistic Sub game around right now. The reviews on steam where so bad I almost wrote it off until I saw someone mention that the Wolves of Steel(?) mod fixes the problems and makes it a pretty great game.

However I am still a bit nervous, it looks like it takes a fair amount of effort to get it running and modded. Not to mention the time it takes to actually learn how to play, especailly for a submarine novice like myself. I also prefer more modern subs to the WWII subs, but I will take what I can get.

So what do you guys think? Do you recommend SH5 with the WoS Mod, is it the best realistic option at the moment? With the steam sale right now it's only about $3, or I can get the silent hunter pack for $13 which has SH3. Is getting the pack worth it? Are the older games still worth playing? Also is there any reason not to buy it from steam, does the mod work ok with the steam version?

If you do recommend I grab it, can you point me in the direction of some good tutorials so that this sub newbie can learn how to play?

Thanks everyone!

p.s. I am not hesitant to get it because of the money, especially being only $3, it's more that I don't want to put hours into getting it modded and working on to find it's not the game for me.
Valadon is offline   Reply With Quote