View Single Post
Old 11-17-17, 12:47 PM   #1
OleToothless
Nub

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Nuke Advice for a new player

Hi all - I hate to make this kind of post, but I've been looking around and while I have found some guidance, I am hoping for a more concrete set of suggestions.

I just recently picked up DW after playing Cold Waters for a couple of months, during which I stumbled upon FPSChazly's YouTube channel. Get looked interesting and so, undeterred by the complexity and girth of the user manual, have jumped right into the game.

I saw several suggestions on this forum that the best thing a beginner can do is to stick with one boat, read the manual, and learn how that one boat works really well. I have been doing this for the most part, trying to stick to the 688i boats, but have occasionally played a 773 or SSN21. success has been... Marginal at best. Doing scenarios, I have struggled to land weapons, have sunk the wrong target, and failed to detect the enemy just about every time. I had a brief moment of success earlier this week on a CVBG protection mission, sinking an Iranian Kilo, but the second of my flight of two torpedos re-acquired on and sunk a friendly Ticonderoga... Oops.

Anyway, I'm now obviously looking to improve my gameplay. I have installed the RA mod, as I thought it fixed bugs and stuff with the base game, but recent posts I've seen have suggested I am doing myself a disservice by not learning the base get first. Is this true? Should I uninstall and start fresh with an unmodded game?

Also having some issues with specific techniques. Three biggest problems I'm having are below. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated:

1. TMA and getting a good solution... I know this probably comes mostly from practice, but if anybody has tips... I have been playing with truth off until I get a solution I like and then toggling truth on for a second to see how close my SOL is. Seems to be helping. How do some of you experienced hunters work a good SOL? Do you merge contacts from different sensors frequently? That seems to just make things harder for me. How do you judge a good speed for a contact without Demon data?

2. Weapons... I think I have deciphered the RA weapons guide enough that I can shoot torpedos pretty well, at least I'm getting hits. But TLAMs see. To be prematurely detonating. I've read Ivan's instructions multiple times, but cannot make them work. Insight?

3. Lastly, torpedo evasion... I haven't even really tried yet, aside from changing course. Generally if I start getting hit by quick pings I go get another drink while I wait to sink to crush depth. I see Chazly has a video... Is that a good place to start? Any other good tips?

Oh one more thing I guess. Is there a way to mute the active sonar pings of friendly vessels? So annoying when I'm trying to get a good SOL on a faint Kill and the OHP 4 nmi away is playing dueling banjos at 7500Hz...

Thanks for reading, looking forward to answers. And Chazly, if you're reading and care to provide input I would be slightly star-struck!
OleToothless is offline   Reply With Quote