View Single Post
Old 04-10-15, 06:49 PM   #4773
SquareCanine
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Note: The USS Dragonfish is the renamed USS Drum, in honor of our original craft, the USS Seadragon, which completed 3 patrols

First Patrol of USS Dragonfish - Hawaii
Deployed to Patrol the Philippine Sea:
Captains Personal Log:
The journey to and from Hawaii is long and arduous. Will request return to Asiatic Fleet at earliest possible time. The new submarine is nice, but I miss the USS Dragonfish

Due to extremely poor weather starting west of Midway, USS Dragonfish arrived at the Marinilla Islands with 60% fuel reserves. After successfully engaging two merchant ships in estimated 7-10m swells, the order was given to return to Midway while still 1200km short of primary objective.

Successfully engaged two more merchant ships while returning in equally bad weather, arrived at Midway with 20% fuel reserves, before returning to Hawaii.

While the results were respectable, crew morale took a hit from failing to complete any primary objective, and over weather related frustrations (surfaced submarines are not enjoyable in rough seas).

Second Patrol of USS Dragonfish - Hawaii
Tasked to insert intelligence team south west of Osaka and Kishiwada, via Osaka Bay:
Captains Personal Log:
I fear either intelligence is becoming desperate, or my previous successes have convinced the admiralty that I can do the impossible.

Arrived in the Kii Channel with surprisingly little resistance. Waited until nightfall before sprinting between two small islands at the entrance to Osaka bay to better avoid shore based artillery. Forced to surface for much of the night to evade detection by merchant shipping, waiting another day in suitably deep water to make insertion under cover of night.

Encountered Sanpan after insertion returning to periscope deep waters. Engaged Sanpan. Tactical oversight resulted in maintaining ahead standard. Warship picked up on sonar 20m after sinking Sanpan, while still 2-3km from being able to dive. Changed course to head north and engaged flank speed. Warship failed to acquire us. Suspected minesweeper.

Almost caught entering the Kii Channel by another Warship while sprinting through shallows. Was able to maintain safe distance and get to deeper water.

Captains Log:
We have completed a difficult mission, but I am reluctant to head home with only 200 tons sunk.

Tasked with Patrol East of Owase:
While frustrated by a very heavy air presence during the day, and failure to successfully intercept two convoys and a task force, merchant hunting proved extremely favourable. Successfully sent to huge liners, three ocean liners, and one 7000 ton freighter to the bottom. Patrol total of ~68,000 tons, best so far for this crew.

Attempted to engage port at Shingu, but found the port to be empty, before returning home.

Third Patrol of USS Dragonfish
Tasked with Intelligence Gather in Hiroshima:
Captains Log:
No.

USS Dragonfish conducted raids on the ports Shingu, Katsuura, Takanabi, Miyazaki. Sunk one subchaser, and damaged another at Shingu. Katsuura was not populated, while Takanabi and Miyazaki were unobservable due to fog.

Unsuccessfully engaged 3 convoys and two destroyer groups, in each case either being detected or failing to hit target. Sunk one medium sized freighter during return to Hawaii. Flak gun was damaged by a bomber during return.

Captains Log:
I suppose any captain is entitled to an off patrol. The eggheads at R&D have also sent us a better air search radar, and a surface search radar system. I eagerly anticipate an opportunity to relocate. The Midway approach currently runs through almost a week of heavy aircover to reach Japanese shipping lanes.
SquareCanine is offline   Reply With Quote