View Single Post
Old 04-11-18, 09:47 AM   #5885
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Ok, I'm really confused now. There's no way you should be getting a Balao mid October 1942?

In Ultimate the Balao doesn't even come into existence until Feb. 4, 1943 (as it's .upc file shows):

[UserPlayerUnit 1]
ID=Balao
NameDisplayable=Balao
UnitName= USS Balao
Type=Balao
UpgradeClass=3
UnitInterval= 1943-02-04, 1963-07-11
ExternalClassName=SSBalao

I don't understand how you could have gotten an upgrade to a sub that's not even able to be displayed in 1942??

I'm willing to quibble over the dates to the "SJ-1 Improved" and its "offer" of purchase as an upgrade (how much and when), but this Balao in 1942 isn't something that should have happened.
I just opened the game and loaded a Save Game I named "42-09-08 TRANSFER TO BRISBANE". That was still in the GAR Class boat, and the calendar in the Office, where the save was taken and where it opens upon loading, shows the September 08, 1942 date. We subsequently made one patrol out of Brisbane (to the Carolines), after which I was given the option to take a "Shiny new boat", which I accepted. I then opened my next Save Game, which was taken immediately after I accepted the "shiny new boat" . That Save Game starts in the office at Mare Island (actually, Treasure Island) CA. That boat is the USS Balao, and the date on the office calendar is October 29, 1942.

BTW, another small item: The boat designation omits the (SS-285) from the title text, whereas all other boats show the SS designation on the Crew Status page or boat picture page (whatever). I went out to Wikipedia's List of US Navy Ships to find the SS-285 designation for Balao.

As for the radar, you are correct about my assumption on the two displays. I did assume the larger scope on the left to be strictly the SJ radar and the other (PPI) to be strictly for air targets. I've adjusted my thinking accordingly. And I did disremember the post that explained the new SD On/Off switch. Experimentation showed me later that the CTL-T combo turns on or off both displays, and when they are off the targets no longer show on the F5 map or, of course, on the scope displays either. The T key by itself generates the same SD/SJ On/Off messages, but frankly I've never noticed that it actually did turn off the radars. If I press it and get the SD/SJ Off message, both scopes appear to still be active, and targets do not disappear from the F5 map. But as I said, using the CTL-T function does the job all the way around, as far as I can tell anyway.

I didn't mind getting the Balao boat so early, but I did expect the next boat in succession would be a Gato class. BTW, in multiple careers, whether in TMO, TMO-RSRDC, the original FOTARS, or FOTARS Ultimate, I've never, ever been given a Tench class boat. Either I've been a victim of random selection (anti-selection?), there is a syntax error in the files, or there is some level of achievement yet to be reached. Are there specific criteria for moving up to a Tench, or is it strictly random and I haven't hit it? Just curious!

Thanks for taking the time to look into my "issues". I appreciate your diligence, time and effort on behalf of us fellow simmers.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote