View Single Post
Old 12-17-05, 07:37 AM   #2
DAB
Lieutenant

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Re: The Silent Hunter IV (Pacific Campaign) Wishlist

Inclusion as playable units, the Americans, Dutch and British
All of these countries had roles in the Pacific Campaign, the Dutch especially were a considerable factor in that war. Also the factions offer very different styles of warfare. British Submarines suffered in terms of range, so they tended to operate in the shallow and difficult waters north of Australlia. Dutch Submarines had major supply problems given that their country was occupied. Therefore dutch submariners had to be very careful in how they used their torpedos. Both factions would allow the game to move beyond a simple tonnage war.

The reasons for playing the Americans are obvious. I'm not convinced about the Japanese. Their campaign was largely ineffective and it would be a boaring war. Also, I think I might have a moral issue with launching Kytons.

Change in the Crew Management system from Silent Hunter III
The idea of managing my crew is actually something I quite like in principle. I work at sea, and have to do this in real life - so it adds a bit of depth to the game. However, i'm not a fan of the way it was implemented in Silent Hunter III. I'd prefer to see a feature that allows you to set watches and allocate crew members to those watches. The game could then automatically change the watch when the correct times arrive.

Slightly more scope for modding by the community
Given what this community has been able to do for SHIII - I'd like to see a bit more scope avalable for SHIV. My passion is actually for the First World War. If someone could create a mod that would allow me to import these sort of submarines into the game I'd be very happy. Such features exist on flight sims (Microsoft Combat Flight Sims are the best example) so I'd imagine they are commercially viable.

Of course that last one isn't really a deal breaker